Sunday, August 7, 2011

Cosmic Review #10! Flashpoint #4 and Flashpoint Batman #3!

Hey there fellow comic readers,

    I hope this week has been treating you with much respect and joy, as it should. This week has been quite eventful for myself. It turns out I shall be travelling to visit family later this month, and some very exciting business opportunities have presented themselves as well. On the comic front, there has definitely been much comic related exploits this week whether on the movie front or in the eternal war of the printed pages within our local comic shops. Being as I am late to the party this week, no doubt this may not be news to many of you. All I would like to put out there that a new Spiderman and a glimpse at the upcoming Superman movie were definitely cool to check out mid-week. Definitely consider heading to Google and checking it out for yourself!  Without further delay, let us begin with my pull list for this week and move on to this weeks comic reviews!

Pull List Aug/3/11

DC

Batman Beyond #8
Batman Arkham City #4
DC Universe Online Legends #13
Flashpoint #4
Flashpoint: Batman Knight of Vengeance #3
Flashpoint: World of Flashpoint #3

Marvel

Fear Itself: Hulk #38
Red Skull #1 & #2 (Back Issue Quest well worth it)

    That is the pull list for this week. We see the conclusion of some Flashpoint series this week, and moving into the final chapter of the main Flashpoint storyline. On the Marvel side of things, I took the time to retrieve Issue 1 and 2 of the new Red Skull title, and am glad I have done so as I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Through much personal debate I have decided to review two Flashpoint titles this week; Flashpoint #4 and Flashpoint: Batman Knight of Vengeance #3. To those of you disappointed right now, I apologize but I truly believe that Flashpoint stole the show this week and deserves the attention. Without further delay let us begin!

Flashpoint #4

    With the conclusion just around the corner we see Flashpoint #4 setting up an epic confrontation for the near future. DC’s summer event has definitely set up an exciting finish. Written by Geoff Johns with art by Andy Kubert one can definitely expect a great finish to this title. Working my way through this issue my anticipation was cranked up to the max as I waited for the glimpse of the world changing engagement by Flash & Co. As the cover page shows, this engagement happens in the middle of the Amazonian-Atlantean war. My impression of this book is one of awe, but after more critical thinking I can’t help but feel like this event is somewhat rushed. I imagine it is partly because I have not purchased ALL the available Flashpoint titles but I feel as if I have way too many questions going in to issue 5 that may not be resolved. Part of me feels many of these questions would have been answered if they decided to make the Reverse-Flash title 3 issue instead of the One-Shot. Despite this negative after thought, I was pleased with Johns build up and Kuberts skilful art to bring it all home. Looking forward to the conclusion!

Cosmic Rating: 3.5/5

Flashpoint: Batman Knight of Vengeance #3

    This title definitely has to be one of the more interesting titles of the Flashpoint series. Written by Brian Azzarello with art by Eduardo Risso, Batman Knight of Vengeance brings about a Batman fan’s ultimate what if scenario. In a world like Flashpoint we see the defining night of Bruce Wayne’s life turned on it’s head. With a shocking outcome and a dark conclusion this series provides quite the experience. Overall thought it must be said that this story offers very little to the Flashpoint story as a whole, mainly offering a glimpse into the life and motivation behind that world’s Batman. Despite this I still don’t regret grabbing this title and would undoubtedly recommend it to any serious Batman fan as Azzarello and Risso have presented us readers with a very enjoyable read.

Cosmic Rating: 3.5/5

    That concludes this week’s comic reviews. If this week has taught me anything is that I need to start drinking more coffee. Sleep is nice and good, but when it starts shaving off the little that is left of your free time it can get quite troublesome. Be sure to check out the latest comic news via the internet and be on the look out for my next entry, a recap of the comic movies of 2011! Until next time take care and happy reading.

Luca “Joriko” Baldassarra

Follow me on Twitter @Lucacosmic for news on comics, video games, and everything in between AND Check out my fan-page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Lucacosmic!

No comments:

Post a Comment