Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cosmic Review #9! ASM #666 and X-Men Schism #2 -DOUBLE MARVEL-

Hey there fellow comic readers,

    I hope everyone is having an awesome week and is comfortable. This week marks a historic day for the Cosmic Comic Review. Today I will actually be reviewing not one, but TWO Marvel titles. Who would have thought this day would come? It was quite a shock to me as well, but when I was going through my pull I realized I just needed to take the opportunity that has conveniently presented itself before me. This week I shall be reviewing X-Men Schism #2 and The Amazing Spiderman #666. Before we get started, let us take a look at this week’s PULL LIST.

Pull List July/27/11

BOOM!Studios

The Traveler #9

DC

Batman: The Dark Knight #4
Brightest Day Aftermath: The Search for the Swamp Thing #2
Flashpoint: Hal Jordan #2
Flashpoint: Kid Flash Lost #2
Flashpoint: Project Superman #2
Green Lantern Corps #62
Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #12

Marvel

The Amazing Spider-Man #666
Fear Itself: The Worthy (One-Shot)
FF #7
Venom #5
X-Men Schism #2

    That sums up the pull list for the week of July/27/11. This week was quite disappointing DC wise. Other than Kid Flash and Project Superman I was overwhelmingly bored throughout the reads. Could it be a sign of the wind down before this September? Let us hope not. Marvel on the other hand had a spectacular week in my eyes, with non-stop enjoyment across the board. Which is why I am pleased to bring about my first ever double-Marvel review, let’s get into it.

The Amazing Spiderman #666

    Now if you have not heard already, this issue is the prelude to the next big story arc known as “Spider Island”. Written by Dan Slott with art by Stefano Caselli, my personal opinion will not differ from the majority of readers who already sing from the roof tops. Slott and Caselli, simply put, make this work. From both writing and visuals this story is interesting from start to end. It has everything a seasoned spidey fan could want, and is also something a newbie wall crawler can easily get a hold of. Caselli bring the eye candy on every page easily allowing one to immerse themselves within the story, and having me increasingly excited for Spider Island! Overall I feel this issue is yet another notch on the belt of Mr. Slott as he has been quickly building a solid reputation during his run on Amazing Spiderman that has had many disheartened Spidey fans flocking back and begging for more. Don’t miss out on this event!

Cosmic Rating: 5/5

X-Men Schism #2

    Here we have the second issue of the five issue Schism story line. Written by Jason Aaron with art by Frank Cho. I must say I am definitely enjoying this story arc. Schism, in my opinion, has been quite an enjoyable read. Aaron has definitely started something worth checking out, as the conflicts arising within the book definitely show underlying tensions within the X-Team. The art of Frank Cho is something that has not really grown on me too much, but definitely fits for the story. My only real criticism in that respect is the faces of the characters as I feel that Cho’s art does not express age very well. Other than that, I would definitely advise Schism critics to reconsider picking up this story arc as it definitely establishes a very interesting beginning to the next era of the X-Men title.

Cosmic Rating: 4/5

    That about wraps up this weeks review. At some point this weekend I shall be posting my review of Captain America: The First Avenger movie which I saw earlier this week, which will also include a mini-review of the Avengers trailer featured after the credits. Hoping you all have an awesome and safe weekend and I shall be back next week with another Cosmic Comic Review! Until then, happy reading and take care.

Luca “Joriko” Baldassarra

Follow me on Twitter @Lucacosmic for news on comics, video games, and everything in between AND Check out my fan-page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Lucacosmic!

No comments:

Post a Comment