Friday, July 22, 2011

Cosmic Review #8! Marksmen #1 and War of the Green Lanterns Aftermath#1! Jul/20/11

Hello to all my fellow comic addicts,

    It has been quite a week with this heat wave that has made working outdoors pretty ridiculous. It would definitely a good option to stay indoors and catch up on some comics. Hopefully the weather becomes more pleasurable in the near future but until then we have plenty of air-conditioned activities that can tide us over, including the release of Captain America: The First Avenger or catching up on the latest comic related news from SDCC’11. Should be an action-packed weekend no doubt, but for now let us get to this weeks Cosmic Comic Review. We start things off as always with a look at my Pull List for the week of July 20th 2011.

BOOM! Studios

Soldier Zero #10

Dark Horse

Criminal Macabre The Goon One-Shot

DC

Batman #712
DC Universe Online Legends #12
Flashpoint: Wonder Woman and the Furies #2
War of the Green Lanterns Aftermath #1

Image

Marksmen #1

Marvel

Fear Itself: Invincible Iron Man #506
Fear Itself: Hulk #37
Fear Itself: FF One-Shot

    That is all for my pulls this week. I am pretty pleased with myself for not having an overwhelming amount of DC on my reading list. I grabbed the image comic since it looked pretty interesting, and I think I will continue to do so. On that note this week I shall be reviewing Marksmen #1 and War of the Green Lanterns Aftermath #1. So sit back, relax, and get ready for some Cosmic Comic Review goodness. Let us begin.

Marksmen #1

    Marksmen #1 was definitely a refreshing change from the usual reads I indulge in. It was nice to explore some new territory as currently the only Image comics I own are Walking Dead trades. Marksmen #1 is written by David Baxter with art by Javier Aranda, Garry Leach, and Jessica Kholinne. The story itself takes place in a post-apocalyptic United States, more specifically sixty-years after an event referred to as the “Big Collapse”. Out of this harsh new era comes the Marksmen, the highly-trained and equipped descendants of the U.S Military. In this first issue we get a glimpse into the state of the world and it’s inhabitants and as expected life is harsh, bleak, and violent. Baxter introduces us to a world of survivors that are armed to the teeth and not very trusting. Add to the mix some cannibals, religious fanatics, and highly advanced tech and you got yourself a recipe for an interesting read. The art of Aranda definitely fit’s the mood of the story and I would say is well founded in the pages of this story. All in all, I am definitely going to keep an eye on this titles and look forward to the next issue of the six scheduled to hit shelves in the future. 

Cosmic Rating: 4/5

War of the Green Lanterns Aftermath #1

    With the conclusion of the latest Green Lantern story arc, we see the subsequent War of the Green Lanterns Aftermath two issue story. Written by Tony Bedard, with art by Miguel Sepulveda and Tyler Kirkham this is definitely a story that is not to be missed by GL fans. War of the Green Lanterns has definitely brought to us some pretty dramatic changes to the GL history. This issue follows the impact of those changes as they reverberate through not only the Lanterns of Sector 2814, but the entire GLC. From the Guardians to the newest GL recruits this issue was definitely a great read. Bedard does a great job setting the mood within the GLC with Sepulveda and Kirkham not missing a beat when it comes to bringing that dark atmosphere to life. No doubt in my mind that I look forward to issue 2, and how these events play out in the upcoming September revamp of GL and GLC. Overall I have to give this issue a perfect score and highly suggest any GL fan not hesitate to pick this up as it is definitely Corps history in the making.

Cosmic Rating: 5/5


    That concludes the CCR for the week of July 20th 2011. In regards to my decision to pick up Marksmen #1, let me state for the record that I very much encourage you the reader to step out of your comfort zone every once in a while and explore the wide variety of comics both mainstream and independent that are available both in store and online, to support the hard working writers, artists, and publishers out there who deserve recognition. This week I was introduced to new publishers that I have never heard of previously, Primal Paper ( http://primalpapercomics.com/) and Big Sexy Comics (http://www.bigsexycomics.com/) and to which I am happy to report that I plan to order some initial issues from to check out. The comic universe is not limited to Marvel and DC fellow readers, but sometimes we need to be informed or nudged in other directions before making the first steps into new territory. Enough of my rant, until next week have a good weekend and happy reading!

Luca “Joriko” Baldassarra

Follow me on Twitter @Lucacosmic for news on comics, video games, and everything in between. Check out my fan-page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Lucacosmic!

No comments:

Post a Comment