Thursday, December 29, 2011

Cosmic Comic Review #20! Green Lantern New Guardians and a Happy New Year!

Hey there comic readers!

    Some of you may be thinking that this comic review is a bit late, but I’m here to set the record straight. I was informed last week by my LCS that the comic pulls would be a day behind. My thoughts? Apparently being a resident of the Great White North means that I don’t like to stay current with comics. Whether it was the dog sleds behind schedule or the mountains of ice and snow, the comic gods felt it necessary to keep me in anticipation of this weeks releases and for that I apologize. The moral of the story is, on the week where I found myself with a lot of free time (on account of being home for the holidays) I was forced to wait a day. It sucked. However, life moves forward, and as always I am here to present to you yet another thrilling Cosmic Comic Review! Let’s take a look at my pull list for the week of Dec28/11, the last pull of 2011!

DC

Aquaman #4
Batman: The Dark Knight #4
DC Universe Online Legends #20
The Flash #4
Green Lantern New Guardians #4
Teen Titans #4

Marvel

Uncanny X-Men #3

    Not a big haul of comics for the last week of the year, but with the holiday sales abound I took the time to grab a bunch of graphics on titles such as Walking Dead, Annihilation, and Ultimate Spider-Man. I am sure for those intrepid enough to master their internet, they too can track down the many comic shops around the world who are offering their customers great deals and fair prices and will be more than happy to answer any and all questions curious readers may have that websites like Indigo, Amazon, Chapters and other big retailers would just simply lack the knowledge to assist. So get out there readers, track down back issues and get caught up, now is the perfect time. Enough of my rant about supporting local comic shops, let’s get to the review shall we? This week I shall be talking about GREEN LANTERN NEW GUARDIANS #4!

Green Lantern New Guardians #4
Writer: Tony Bedard
Pencils: Tyler Kirkham
Colours: Nei Ruffino

    This weeks GL: New Guardians brings us a massive confrontation of the Seven Corps on Oa . This title follows the adventures of Kyle Rayner and his group of companions representing each of the seven Lantern Corps, which from the last issue led them into a heated confrontation between them and the Guardians. Bedard starts this issue off with a  bang, sending Larfleeze against the Guardians. In this issue we get a glimpse of the team working together and what they are able to accomplish when they are not fighting amongst themselves. More importantly we get to step back and get a view of the big picture, the overarching threat that this team will face in the coming issues. The art on this issue really keeps the pace moving, with lots going on in this story Kirkham’s art kept me in the action. Ruffino must have had a rough time colouring this one, considering we basically have a war of light from page to page. GL fans should definitely give Ruffino some respect on this issue, as the colouring was fantastic. From hidden allies to hidden enemies, with a sprinkle of hidden abilities as well, this issue is definitely a great pick up for anyone who wants to get more of Kyle Rayner and the other corps. I really hope Bedard keeps the ball rolling on this one, as I have stated in the past I see a lot of potential in this title and would love to see it cross over into the main GL title as soon as possible.

Cosmic Rating: 4.5/5

Good

- Lots of action, a mini War of light!
- First time we see the New Guardians team working together
- First glimpse at the new threat the team will face, and I love the “leadership” for the team
- Great art by Kirkham and Ruffino


Bad

- The other lanterns did not have much speaking lines, wish they had more input in the dialogue.

    That shall be it for the Cosmic Comic Review for this week, and evidently for the year of 2011. It has been a great 2011 for me this, I published my own comic book, finished school, and have high hopes and aspirations moving into 2012. I hope those of you who have found me on the internet have enjoyed my reviews as much as I have enjoyed writing them. I shall continue to review comics weekly in 2012 and my wish is to see more interaction between myself and my readers. So please, feel free to comment on the blogs themselves and contact me through my Facebook fanpage or Twitter. Both can be found on the post below, don’t be shy. To everyone who reads this, I wish you and your loved ones a very Happy New Year. I’ll see you in 2012, until then take care and happy reading!


Luca “Joriko” Baldassarra
 
Follow me on Twitter @Lucacosmic AND Check out my fan-page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Lucacosmic!

No comments:

Post a Comment