Thursday, December 8, 2011

Cosmic Review #17! Red Lanterns #4 and Action Comics revelations!

Cosmic Comic Review #17

Hey there comic readers,

    It has been a busy week for me so far. I have acquired a second job to help alleviate some of my financial stress, hence the day late comic review. Luckily the comic gods have looked upon me and smiled by providing me with a bunch of great reads this week, let us have a look at my pull list for December 8th:

DC

Action Comics #4
Batman Detective Comics #4
Red Lanterns #4
Stormwatch #4
Swamp Thing #4


Marvel

Avenging Spider-Man #2
Amazing Spider-Man #675
Venom #10


    An awesome selection of comics definitely puts a smile in an otherwise uneventful day. I really enjoyed a lot of these titles. It occurs to me after 4 issues of Action comics that I am just not a big Superman fan. I picked up the title hoping that Grant Morrison would help me stay with it, but to be honest his take on a young Superman has done nothing to keep me hooked. Take that as you will, but I do enjoy Grant Morrison’s style. Maybe it is just the idea that with Superman the threat does not seem so dire considering who he is. Oh Kryptonian biology, why you so uninteresting? (my attempt at a troll) With that said, let us move onto the review portion of this post. Considering how awesome Avenging Spider-Man was, and that I did a Marvel title last week I decided to review…..RED LANTERNS #4! I understand your confusion, those have nothing to do with one another. I just feel that this comic did not get enough attention on the comic sites I normally frequent and it is a great issue that needs some review love from yours truly. Shall we?

Red Lanterns #4
Written by Peter Milligan
Pencils by Ed Benes and Diego Bernard
Inks by Rob Hunter
Colors by Nathan Euring


    In this issue of Red Lanterns we see Atrocitus on a mission to uncover the truth behind Bleez’s plans. This search for information gives the reader an opportunity to explore more members of the Red Lantern Corps. I really like what Milligan has done in this issue. It is always nice to see more insight onto the other corps of the Emotional Spectrum, especially when it comes to the history of the characters. We also see him setting up some future events in the title, like the prospect of new Red Lanterns yet to come. The fact that other Red Lanterns will be gaining sentience is very intriguing to me, I mean I love the whole “RAGE!!!!” angle, but after a while it becomes kind of dull knowing that when  Red Lantern shows up they are pretty much expected to blow stuff up. To know that the future of the Red Lantern core may involve more complex characters, fills me with excitement. Moving to the art on this issue, we see some more great work. From the landscapes of Ysmault to the flashback pages, we see some awesome work from Benes and Bernard. My favourite page comes right after the first flashback, with a  great shot of Atrocitus. Overall, I am really excited to learn more of the Red Lantern Corps and hope that these events will tie into the main GL titles, as well as New Guardians (which in my opinion is the weakest of the four currently). Do not miss this opportunity to learn more about the Red Lantern Corps, you won’t be disappointed!

Cosmic Rating: 4.5/5

Good
- Learn more about the Red Lantern Corps members!
- Conflicts arising within the corps, makes for an interesting read
- Surprise ending
- Benes and Bernard help drive it all home

Bad
- In the end not much is really done in this issue, mostly reflection
- If you are looking for action, this is not your issue

    That will wrap up this week’s Cosmic Comic Review. Feel free to shoot me an email or make suggestions about what you would like to see next week, I am always up for discussion or looking into new series to read, so feel free. Until next week, take care and happy reading!

Luca “Joriko” Baldassarra

Follow me on Twitter @Lucacosmic AND Check out my fan-page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Lucacosmic !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment