Friday, June 17, 2011

Comic Review #3 -> Pull List Jun/15/11: Flashpoint: Wonder Woman & Avengers Fear Itself

Hey there Ladies/Gentleman,

     I apologize for the late review, this week has been absolutely jammed pack for me. Wednesday I graduated from York University and recieved my Bachelor of Arts in History:D, and last night I watched the midnight release of Green Lantern (Movie Review Incoming!). But alas, let us get down to the business at hand. Comic Reviews! Firstly as always let's take a look at my pull list for the week of Jun/15/11:

DC

DC Universe Online Legends #10
Batman #711
Flashpoint: Wonder Woman and the Furies #1

Marvel

Fear Itself: Avengers #14

BOOM! Studios

Soldier Zero #9

     Not a jammed pack week this time around. I actually took the opportunity to pick up some graphics I had my eye on. I was planning on grabbing Grodd of War as well but my "shopkeep" informed me that he had not anticipated the demand and ordered too little, he assures me I will have it on my pull soon so I will just review when I get it I suppose. That's enough FAIL for now, on to the reviews!

Flashpoint: Wonder Woman and the Furies #1

     Arguably one of the major plots within the World of Flashpoint, this mini features the writing talents of Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning with the artistic talents of Scott Clark and David Beaty. Leave it to Abnett and Lanning to give me a story that leaves me pumped for Issue #2. Though people who are devotees of Aquaman and Wonder Woman or well-versed in the beliefs of Atlantis/Themyscira may have seen it coming, I think Abnett and Lanning did a great job laying the groundwork for some serious conflict. To top it all off we have the fantastic art from Clark and Beaty that really sets the mood and provides the reader with fantastic visuals showcasing the beauty of both these ancient DC civilizations. All in all, even though the villains are somewhat predictable I think the writing in this mini will have me coming back for Issue #2 and #3, this one being no doubt important to understanding what we can expect from the World of Flashpoint (as a whole, not the other mini:P).

Fear Itself: Avengers

     Fear Itself gets a lot more terrifying in this issue of the Avengers. Written by Brian Michael Bendis and featuring the artistic talent of John Romita Jr., Klaus Janson, and Dean White this issue in my honest opinion is a "love it" or "hate it" deal. Writing wise, Bendis gives us a smash-fest....a Hulk smash-fest.....what a bad pun. It's essentially Red Hulk vs one of the Serpent's "Worthy" and the art does not fail to bring it to life on the page. On that note, if you are looking for something to drive the plot forward, you will likely be disappointed. Such is the way of the Comic Cosmos my friends, you either get all action or all story, the great books manage the perfect balance. But the beauty of interpretation means that you my reader may agree or disagree with me. Overall, I am going to say that this one was an O.K. issue, since it delieverd a good ol' smash fest that was like candy to my eyes, but the inquisitive mind standing behind the drooling fan-boy could not help but say "What now?". All these questions and more next issue? Not sure I will be so inclined next time around.


     So there we have it, another week gone in the world of comics. Hopefully next week my pull will be able to give me more reading. As stated above I will be posting a review of the Green Lantern film. Just to give a heads up, Green Lantern is what brought me into comic books, so my "lens" may be more critical than others as I am at heart a member of the Corps for life. If you would like to stay informed on my reviews you can follow me @Lucacosmic on Twitter, or check out my fan page on Facebook Luca "Joriko" Baldassarra. Until next time, take care and happy reading!

- Luca "Joriko" Baldassarra

No comments:

Post a Comment