Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Cosmic Review #15! Aquaman #3 and Flash Facts!

Hey there fellow comic junkies,

    Here in the Great White North, the weather may be dropping to the colder side but at least we still have new comics to look forward to on Wednesdays. As always my favourite day of the week brings me something new to be thankful for. It may not be Thanksgiving up here this week, but I can still manage to find something to be grateful for this week. Let’s take a look at my pull’s for this week:

Pull List Nov/23

DC

Aquaman #3
Batman The Dark Knight #3
Diablo 3 #1 of 5
Green Lantern New Guardians #3
The Flash #3
Teen Titans #3
Superman #3

Marvel

The Mighty Thor #8
Wolverine and the X-Men #2

After going through my pulls I came to a few conclusions. Firstly, I really can’t get in to Superman as it is right now. When the New 52 started, I was very much looking forward to getting a fresh start on the Man of Steel. The title as it is right now, fails to capture my interest. I feel like by issue #3 there has been little to no progress moving the story forward. The formula being used is tired and not overly interesting and because of it I have removed it from my pull list. I hope to be proven wrong down the line, but as it stands I am disappointed to say the least. Alternatively, I can summarize the Flash story so far in one word….WOW. I am very happy with the direction Manapul has been taking during his run on the title. Not only has he added a different dimension to the Flash’s abilities, but he has been able to bring a truly exciting reading experience to me with every issue. Just check out the end of Issue #3 when you get the chance and honestly tell me that you anticipated that ending. You have been formally challenged :P! Anyway, without further delay let the comic review begin, this week I will be looking at AQUAMAN #3.

Aquaman #3
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Ivan Reis


    Once again Aquaman #3 continues Johns’ redefining run on DC’s once misunderstood superhero. If you have not been following Aquaman since the relaunch began, many things have changed. Johns did away with the negative Aquaman stereotypes and has managed to bring a new perspective on the character that has intrigued not only myself but many other DC readers as well. Aquaman #3 was definitely one of the most interesting reads from my pulls this week, and leaves little doubt in my mind that I will be keeping my eye on this title. As stated, Johns is tearing down the preconceptions of Aquaman on this run. Here we see an Aquaman that lives in a world that quite frankly does not understand him as a hero. The world recognizes who he is, but does not seek to understand him outside of “the guy who talks to fish”. Johns uses this to great effect within the story giving the plot a sense of realism. Here we see an Aquaman who is coming face to face with an unknown threat from the deepest parts of the ocean, and just tears things up. Badass is really the best phrase to describe the action within this issue. On top of it all, Johns manages to mix in Aquaman’s past into the current story, giving even more depth to the plot and giving readers insight in to where Aquaman comes from, leading to the hero he is in the present. Moving to the art, we have the pencils of Ivan Reis who brings together some great fight panels . I really like the art on the creatures in throughout the issue, most notably page 7. Johns and Reis bring a great look and feel to the new Aquaman, and after how this issue ended I look forward to seeing where they will take Aquaman next. Overall, this issue served to give more insight into the Trench, touch upon Aquaman’s past, and continue to teach us what Aquaman is capable of as a hero.

Cosmic Rating: 4.5/5

 
Good
- A good relaunch for Aquaman as a character
- Johns really helps ground Aquaman in the real world through his interactions with civilians
- The Trench continue to intrigue


Bad
- Mera doesn’t seem to have a really strong presence in the dialogue. She just seems to be tagging along the whole issue and never really says anything interesting until the final pages.

    That concludes the comic review for this week, to all those celebrating Thanksgiving this week I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. To those of you who shall be heading to work like myself, I wish you all the best just the same. Earlier today my brother and I picked up the new Zelda title Skyward Sword and are itching to get through that as quickly as possible, so I foresee a very dungeon packed weekend ahead of me. Until next week, take care and happy reading!

Luca “Joriko” Baldassarra

Follow me on Twitter @Lucacosmic for news on comics, video games, and everything in between AND Check out my fan-page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Lucacosmic!

No comments:

Post a Comment